The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology
“Providing Cost-Effective Solutions to Industrial Problems”
The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology is part of the School of Engineering at The University of Greenwich at Medway, Kent and has specialised in solving materials handling problems since 1973.
The Centre undertakes leading edge research into a wide range of problems associated with the handling and storage of granular and powder materials, including all grades of aggregates, alumina, cement, coal, flour, grains, pellets, plastics, sugars, starches, pharmaceutical powders and wood chips, to name but a few.
An important aspect of the work undertaken by The Wolfson Centre relates to its independent and impartial status. This enables the evaluation of plant schemes and recommendations for equipment types to be made based purely on the basis of suitability for the application.
The Wolfson Centre is continually improving the understanding of the behaviour of particulates in handling and storage systems and can offer Consultancy services to industry in the fields of:
- Hoppers and Silos
- Pneumatic Conveying
- Product Feeders
- Product Quality (segregation, attrition and caking)
- Environmental and Transport effects
- Dosing and Dispensing
- Instrumentation and Control
- Abrasion and Wear
- Overall system design and integration
- Dust prevention and control
- Processing of powders and bulk solids
Industries served include:
- The pharmaceutical sector,
- Food and drink,
- Mining and quarrying,
- Renewable energy,
- Household goods,
- Pet food,
- Grain handling and storage
- any other industry involved in the handling of powders or bulk solids.
We have the greatest collection of resources to tackle solids handling challenges all under one roof, anywhere in the UK or Europe, possibly in the world! Our industrial scale plant is available for your project, including pneumatic and mechanical conveying, hoppers and silos, screening, blending, feeding, dosing, pressing, transport, drying, environmental effects, control systems and all that you find in a real plant or logistics chain. Many of the tests and models used have been developed here and are available nowhere else in the world!
Our industrial consulting engineers have between them, well over a hundred man-years of experience in solving problems in the flow and processing of powders, granules and lump materials. These people concentrate on nothing else but the needs of industry – and are at your disposal. They are backed up by a large team of researchers engaged with pushing back the boundaries of bulk solids characterisation, handling equipment design and process models.
The Wolfson Centre is available for Expert Witness Services and can provide assistance in assessing powder and bulk solids handling plant when required.
The Centre also provides a comprehensive series of short courses which are delivered at The University’s campus or on site in a bespoke format. These cover topics such as
- Caking and Lump Formation in Powders and Bulk Materials
- Storage and Discharge of Powders and Bulk Solids
- Pneumatic Conveying of Bulk Solids
- Measurement of the Properties and Bulk Behaviour of Particulate Materials
- Biomass Handling, Feeding and Storage
- Dust Explosions - How to manage Compliance to DSEAR/ATEX
- Powder and Dsut Containment in the Process Industry
- Undesired deblending and Separation in Processes and Equipment
- and a general course entitled An Overview of Particulate Handling Technology.
Advanced courses designed for experienced practitioners have been introduced for 2015. Theses include:
- Design of Equipment for Storing and Discharging Bulk Materials
- Pneumatic Conveying System Design
If you have a bulk solids handling problem, don’t struggle on by yourself - ‘Phone us. There’s a 95% chance our engineers have seen the same problem on other plants, or with the same or similar materials elsewhere! Even if we haven’t, we have the experience to find the right path to the solution you need.Caroline Chapman
University of Greenwich
Chatham Maritime, Kent
T: 020 8331 8646
- Its no laughing matter when this happens at your plant
- Best Practice for Bulk Handling Plant Design and Operation
- Understanding Storage and Discharge Problems associated with Powders and Bulk Materials
- Post Doc Researcher vacancy, full time….
- Consultant Engineer needed
- When faced with an array of options for your processing equipment, how do you know which one to pick
- When faced with an array of options for your processing equipment, how do you know what to choose?
- Troubleshooting Pneumatic Conveying System problems
- Best Practice for bulk handling plant design and operation
- Caking and Lump Formation in Powders and Bulk Materials; one day course
- Do you understand your responsibilities under the DSEAR/ATEX regulations?
- Short courses on the Storage and Discharge of Powders and Bulk Materials
- Is your plant vulnerable to cyber-attacks?
- Airborne particles can be an industrial hazard.
- Erratic, unpredictable and dangerous -
- If you manufacture and/or design pneumatic conveying systems, this short course is a MUST for you
- Short courses on Bulk Materials Handling Technology - 2016 Calendar out now
- Junior Consulting Engineer vacancy
- Improve your bulk materials handling knowledge;
- Celebrations at the Wolfson Centre as Mike Bradley wins 2 awards
- Dust Explosions - How to Demonstrate DSEAR/ATEX Compliance
- Undesired deblending and separation in processes and equipment
- Laboratory Assistant required for bulk materials handling projects
- Storage and Discharge of Powders and Bulk Materials; short course
- Pneumatic Conveying of Bulk Materials short course
- Register now for the Overview of Particulate Handling Technology short course
- Short course: Segregation, Degradation and Caking of Bulk Materials - new date
- Segregation, Degradation and Caking of Powders during storage and transport
- The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology sponsors European Biomass to Power conference
- Do Dust Explosions or Electrostatic Charging cause problems with your bulk materials handling?
- Wolfson Centre sponsors IMechE Bulk solids handling conference
- Storage and Discharge of Powders and Bulk Materials Short Course
- Short Course on Pneumatic Conveying of Bulk Solids
- Improve your materials handling knowledge this winter by attending one of our short courses.
- Powder and Dust Containment short course
- Excellent Opportunity for 1st class Graduate to join World Leading Organisation in Cutting Edge Rese
- Bulk Handling in the Waste, Recycling and Biomass Industries
- 3000th solids handling enquiry
- New Short courses in April
- European Biomass to Power
- Powder Handling and Characterisation courses in March
- Guide on how to manage compliance to REACH within your company
- Short courses for Industry, 2012
- Biomass Handling, Feeding and Storage short course - another date added
- 2 day course on Pneumatic Conveying of Bulk Solids
- Bulk Materials Handling Short Course
- The Wolfson Centre for Bulk Solids Handling Technology helps solve skill shortage in manufacturing
- Meet the Wolfson Centre Consultants at EBEC
- Biomass for Renewable Heat conference
- Best Practice Guide on Biomass Handling and Biomass/Coal co-handling
- Short course: Pneumatic Conveying of bulk solids
- The Wolfson Centre produce the most downloaded paper of the year
- Process powders safely with the Wolfson Centre short course
- Storage and Discharge of Bulk Solids Short Course
- Quality in Powder Handling short course
- Overview of Particulate Handling Technology Short Course
- New Powder Flow Tester
- Quality in Powder Handling
- Wolfson Centre Short Courses Calendar for 2010
- Pneumatic Conveying of Bulk Solids short course
- Property Measurement and Testing of Powders for Pharmaceutical and Neutraceutical Production
- Solids Handling Problems? - Challenge us at the Wolfson Centre